By Anthony Ellison
Read or Download AS Chemistry (Instant Revision) PDF
Similar chemistry books
This is often the 16th annual quantity of development in Heterocyclic Chemistry, and covers the literature released in the course of 2003 on lots of the vital heterocyclic ring platforms. This quantity opens with really expert studies. the 1st covers 'Lamellarins: Isolation, job and synthesis' an important crew of biologically lively marine alkaloids and the second one discusses 'Radical Additions to Pyridines, Quinolines and Isoquinolines'.
Plant Pigments, Flavors and Textures: The Chemistry and Biochemistry of chosen Compounds makes a speciality of the chemistry and biochemistry of compounds chargeable for the pigments, flavors, and textures of a few vegatables and fruits. on the grounds that a lot of the knowledge provided is scattered within the clinical literature, an try has been made to combine the cloth right into a concise but accomplished textual content.
This multi-author contributed quantity contains methodological advances and unique purposes to genuine chemical or biochemical phenomena which have been impossible prior to the elevated sophistication of recent desktops. The chapters include specified reports of the advancements of varied computational recommendations, used to review complicated molecular platforms equivalent to molecular beverages and suggestions (particularly aqueous solutions), liquid-gas, solid-gas interphase and biomacromolecular platforms.
- Marine Chemistry in the Coastal Environment
- Risk-Based Classification of Radioactive and Hazardous Chemical Wastes (Ncrp Report, No. 139)
- Surface Chemistry of Silicon [Chem Rvw Article]
- Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds: Pyridine Metal Complexes, Part 6, Volume 14
- Reductions in Organic Chemistry
- Photocatalytic Production of Energy-Rich Compounds. Energy from Biomass 2
Additional info for AS Chemistry (Instant Revision)
5 In any species, the more electronegative atom will be assigned a negative oxidation number and the less electronegative atom assigned a positive oxidation number. 6 Some elements are used as reference points when assigning oxidation number because they nearly always have invariable oxidation numbers in their compounds: Na, K +1 Mg, Ca +2 Al +3 H +1 (except in metal hydrides) F –1 Cl –1 (except in compounds with oxygen and fluorine) O –2 (except in peroxides, superoxides and fluorides) 39 R EDOX R EACTIONS (3) Example What is the oxidation number of iodine in the following species?
1) (c) Sodium iodide. (1) (d) What do these observations tell you about the relative ease of oxidation of the hydrogen halides? (2) 10 Sea water contains aqueous bromide ions. Chlorine gas is used in the extraction of bromine from this source. (a) Give the ionic equation for the reaction between chlorine gas and bromide ions, including state symbols. (2) (b) Explain which of the elements, chlorine or bromine, is the stronger oxidising agent in terms of electron transfer. (2) The answers are on page 115.
With steam, however, magnesium burns brightly to produce magnesium oxide and hydrogen. Mg(s) + H2O(g) MgO(s) + H2(g) Because the reactivity of the metals increases down the group, the remaining metals react vigorously with cold water. 48 T HE P ERIODIC TABLE (5) Example Ba(s) + 2H2O(l) Ba(OH)2(aq) + H2(g) The metal hydroxide is often produced as a suspension in water. Solubility of group 2 hydroxides and sulphates Solubility data for group 2 hydroxides in water at 298 K are given below. 4 × 10–3 Ba(OH)2 15 × 10–3 As the group is descended, the solubility of the group 2 hydroxides increases.
AS Chemistry (Instant Revision) by Anthony Ellison